Seven more coronavirus deaths in Leicester hospitals confirmed

Seven more patients being treated with coronavirus at Leicester Hospitals have died.

This brings the total number of fatalities who tested positive for Covid-19 to twenty-two in Leicester.

All the patients had underlying health conditions, the Hospital Trust said.

A spokesperson for the University of Leicester NHS Hospitals Trust said: “Sadly we can confirm that 22 patients being cared for at our hospitals, and who had tested positive for Covid-19, have died.”

“Seven of those deaths have been announced today (Tuesday 31 March).”

“Our thoughts and condolences are with the families and friends of those patients at this very difficult and distressing time.”

The news came as Public Health England confirmed that 393 people died with the virus in the UK overnight, bringing the total number of deaths to 1,808. This is the biggest increase in deaths from the infection so far.

A 19-year-old became the youngest person to die with the virus. It’s believed the teenager had no underlying health conditions.

However, despite the rise in the number of deaths from the virus, health officials believe the nationwide stay at home advice is “making a difference.”

Transmission of coronavirus in the community is thought to be decreasing, which could mean fewer infections. 

Hospital admissions data suggests cases are not rising as fast as feared. 

Sir Patrick said the NHS was seeing around an additional 1,000 patients a day and described this daily rise as “stable”.

“That shows that it’s going up not in an increasing amount but in a constant amount, which may suggest that we’re already beginning to see some effect,” he said.

To keep up with all the latest news, please like our Facebook Page or join our Leicestershire Breaking News group.