Couple killed in fire in Leicestershire named

An elderly couple who died in a fire in a Leicestershire village have been named by the coroners office.

Emergency services were called to the fatal house fire in Church Road, in Kirby Muxloe,  in the early hours of Friday 5 April.

The couple have been formally named as Malcolm George Noakes, 89, and his wife Margaret Ann Noakes, who was 86.

They were both pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Leicestershire fire and rescue carried out an investigation of the scene and have ruled the fire is not being treated as suspicious.

It is believed the fire was started by a faulty fuse box in the house.

Residents nearby expressed their shock and sadness, with many personally knowing the couple who passed away.

Sandra Hardy posted on social media: “Been lovely neighbours for 40 years and will be sadly missed.”

Michelle Matthews added: “Lovely friendly couple. Been my mum’s neighbours since I can remember. RIP both.”