An eight-year-old boy died after a teenager fell on top of him during an indoor laser game at Megazone in Leicester.
Aryan Patel, from Leicester, was playing laser tag at the city centre venue when the larger boy collided with him. The teenager said he did not see Aryan due to his slight build and the dark lighting in the room.
Aryan was found writhing on the floor in agony by his father. He was taken to hospital but died within an hour of reaching there.
An inquest held in front of a jury found Aryan died as a result of “blunt force abdominal trauma leading to liver laceration”. The jury concluded Aryan’s death was accidental.
The laser tag session included 33 other children of various age and size.
Aryan’s father, Rajendra, criticised Megazone after the hearing. The IT manager, from Thurmaston, said:
“We are bitterly disappointed that Megazone or Leicester environmental health have not looked further into implementing changes into how players are more suitably grouped.
They have missed an opportunity to implement better health and safety for the public within this type of organisation”.