Hotel evacuated after fire breaks out in Leicester

A fire has broken out in a hotel in Leicester, forcing guests to be evacuated from the premises.

The incident took place at the College Court Conference Centre and Hotel on Knighton Road at around 7am this morning.

Four fire crews from around the city were sent to tackle the blaze, which is believed to have started in the kitchen area in the basement of the hotel.

All guests and staff were evacuated from the premises safely. A number of conferences were planned for the day, but these will be moved to another venue.