Leicester man found guilty of rape after woman mistook his car for taxi

A man who raped his victim twice after she accidentally got into his car thinking it was a taxi has been convicted of rape.

Robert Halliday, from Oakham, drove the woman to a secluded area, where he parked up before raping her twice.

Jurors at Leicester Crown Court heard how the victim was on a night out in Leicester, in November last year, when she got into Halliday’s car after mistaking it for a taxi. Instead of going home the woman suffered a terrifying attack.

The nine day trial heard, after carrying out his attack, 41-year-old Halliday, then drove towards Wigston where the woman got out of the car at a fast food restaurant.

The police were called after the woman raised the alarm with a customer at the takeaway in an extreme state of distress.

As police arrived at the scene and began caring for the woman, Halliday remained in the area, driving back past the fast food restaurant on a number of occasions.

Leicester Crown Court was told how Halliday then drove back to Oakham and set about removing any evidence that the woman had been in his car.

Based on the victim’s statement, together with fast track forensic evidence and CCTV images of Halliday’s car, he was quickly identified as the suspect and was arrested later that same morning.

Shortly after his arrest, officers recovered items of his clothing from a washing machine in his home and his car was seized for scientific examination.

When questioned, Halliday denied raping the woman, claiming it had been consensual sex. However, a jury at Leicester Crown Court today (10 May) found him guilty and he was convicted of two counts of rape.

Read next: Police persuade woman not to jump from M69 bridge

Detective Constable Chris Sherwin said: “Throughout this investigation Halliday has continually denied attacking this woman; but thanks to her prompt actions when she left his car, we were able to gather a weight of evidence to prove to the jury what had really happened.”

“It is thanks to her courage in coming forward and raising the alarm so quickly that we have been able to build a successful case against him.”

Halliday will be sentenced in June.