A busy Leicester street was closed yesterday after a fire broke out in a shop and the flats above.
A large Police presence and up to eight fire crews attended the scene on Narborough Road last night.
The fire is believed to have started in a butchers shop and the accommodation above, at the junction of Narborough Road and Gaul Street.
Road closures were put in place from 7.15pm to around midnight, as fire crews brought the blaze under control.
Onlookers described seeing heavy smoke coming from the building.
One man had to jump out of a second storey window to escape the fire. The 32-year-old lived in one of the flats above the shop.
He said: “I live above where the smoke is coming out. I was sitting at my desk and I noticed there was smoke coming in and my window was open.”
“When I tried to get down, get outside through the main exit, there was no power in the house, there was smoke all around.
“It was getting hard to breathe. So what I did was jump through the kitchen window.”
Leicestershire Police said nobody was injured in last night’s incident and inquiries are ongoing into the circumstances surrounding the fire.