Man and woman die in house fire in Leicester

A man and woman have died in a fatal house fire in a Leicestershire village this morning.

Emergency services were called to the scene of the fire in Church Road, Kirby Muxloe, at around 3.30am today (April 5).

The couple were pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Formal identification of the deceased has not yet taken place, however Police believe there is no reason to suggest the victims were not the owners of the property.

A cordon is in place at the address and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire is continuing.

A number of vehicles from Cadent, the gas distribution network, were also at the scene.

Cadent subsequently confirmed that their engineers attended the scene and the gas mains network was checked and it is operating correctly.

Residents nearby expressed their shock and sadness, with many personally knowing the couple who passed away.