Breaking news: Men found guilty of kidnap and murder of Leicester jeweller

Three men who were on trial for the robbery, kidnap and murder of Leicester jeweller Ramniklal Jogiya have been found guilty.

A jury at Birmingham Crown Court found Thomas Jervis, 24, of Enderby Road, Whetstone, and Charles Frances Mcauley, 20, of Gooding Avenue, Leicester, both guilty of murder. They had previously admitted kidnap and robbery.

The third defendant, Callan Reeve, 20, of Biddle Road, Leicester, was found guilty of manslaughter. He too had previously pleaded guilty to kidnap and robbery.

The fourth man on trial, Javon Roach, 30, of Norwich Road, Leicester, was acquitted of kidnap, robbery and murder.

The trial which lasted five weeks heard how the gang had spent weeks planning to rob a safe at Mr Jogiya’s jewellery shop in the city’s Belgrave Road.

As Mr Jogiya locked-up his shop on the evening of 24 January and made the short journey on foot to his home address, he was bungled into a stolen van.

The 74-year-old father of three was then tortured and forced to hand over the keys to his shop to the men.

He was brutally attacked by the gang until he told them the shop’s alarm de-activation code and – critically – the combination code for a safe.

However, despite the gangs meticulous planning, they had not realised the safe was on a 12-hour delay, and they could not get into it.

After being tortured, Mr Jogiya was then dumped and left to die alone in the middle of the countryside in Stoughton.

He was found the next morning by dog walkers.

A post mortem examination found Mr Jogiya was beaten to death. He had suffered a total of 27 injuries including broken ribs, wounds to his face, hands and arms, and had died from a major brain injury caused by a severe assault to his head.

Detective David Swift-Rollinson said: “Their horrific and brutal crime all but defied description”.

“Rarely have I investigated a crime so wicked and ruthless. The depravity, inhumanity and utter contempt they showed for their victim has caused untold anguish for his family and stunned the whole community.”

He added: “The only possible comfort left for the family is that the people responsible for this terrible crime will now be locked up for a very long time.”

All three defendants were remanded into custody and will be sentenced on Monday 10 September.