Three teenagers plead guilty to violent attack, causing death of 64-year-old

Three teenage boys have pleaded guilty after a man died after he was attacked in Leicester city centre.

John Donovan, 64, was assaulted by the teenagers in King Street in September last year, as he walked home from the local supermarket.

This afternoon, the boys, two of whom are 14-years-old and a 16-year-old, who can’t be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to manslaughter after a hearing at Nottingham Crown Court.

Mr Donovan, of Newtown Street, Leicester was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary on Saturday 2 September. The court heard how he was found lying injured on the ground.

John was able to provide a statement to officers in which he described how he had been at home watching the football and went out to the local supermarket to buy some alcohol. He said as he walked home he was approached from behind by three boys who pushed him to the ground, trying to rob him of the alcohol.

John died a few days later in hospital and a post mortem examination revealed he died as a result of a cardiac arrest caused by injuries sustained during the assault.

Detectives launched a murder investigation and trawled through CCTV from the city centre which captured the incident. Officers were able to track the suspects and their movements through the city centre, which helped them obtain clear images of their faces. The boys were quickly identified and subsequently arrested.

A police spokesman said: “This was a violent attack on an innocent man. John left his home with the intention of buying alcohol and returning to watch the football, unfortunately that wasn’t the case.”

“These three young boys saw John as an easy target to rob, the attack on him ultimately led to his death.”

“There are no winners in this case, a man has lost his life and a family have lost a loved one. These teenagers will now be facing a considerable time behind bars. I hope these guilty pleas will give them a chance to mend their ways and leave their criminal past behind.”

The three teenagers will be sentenced on Wednesday 28 March.