What happens next after Hinckley Road tragedy?

Residents in the Hinckley Road area are being reassured that support is in place to help the community recover from the tragic event.

Emergency services have now completed their investigations at the scene of the explosion, and work to make the area safe and reopen the road has been handed over to Leicester City Council.

Properties immediately adjoining the building destroyed in the incident have already been demolished.

An assessment of the safety and stability of other properties is also taking place and there is a possibility that further demolition work may still be required.

The site will also be cleared of debris and rubble and work will be carried out to restore and repair the highway.

It is likely that a safety cordon will be in place for at least one more week but will be reduced as soon as it is safe to do so. However, the inbound lane of Hinckley Road, from its junction with Woodville Road, will need to remain closed for the time being.

The council will continue to provide support to those people who are unable to return to their homes. A dedicated housing officer is helping those people who have lost their homes to find new tenancies. Emergency hotel accommodation has been provided where required.

A residents’ support point – put in place on the corner of Bolton Road and Hinckley Road – will remain open. This will offer support and information to anyone affected by the incident.

City Mayor Peter Soulsby said: “This is a very difficult time for people living in the Hinckley Road area. Our thoughts and deepest sympathy remain with those affected by this tragic event, and we thank the local community for their continued kindness and patience.

“We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to the emergency services for the exceptional bravery, commitment and compassion they have demonstrated.”

“Council teams will now be working hard to make the site safe and bring the highway back into use as quickly as possible.”

“We will do whatever we can to help people living in the area recover from this dreadful incident and move forward as a community.”